Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mayla... the best distraction from running

Last Friday we got a dog!! She is a seven-year-old Australian Cattle Dog mix from a shelter down the street from us. We've been going to the shelter once or twice a week looking for the right dog and when we saw her we knew. She's cute and she can catch a ball like nobody's business. She has a high pain tolerance and the first time she went out to catch the ball she got a thorn in her foot. She was so excited about the ball that she didn't start limping until she had been playing for a half hour. I tried taking her on a run with me, but she would have none of it. I guess we'll have to wait for her to heal up a bit. This morning when I took her out she just sat on the cold pavement and started licking her feet. I guess she's a sensitive one. We bought her dog booties but they come off when she starts running.

At any rate, I'm not sure what kind of trail adventures we will be having in the short term. We're hoping she will show some more enthusiasm to running soon. I mean, what kind of cattle dog doesn't like to run? Our pup has been through some trauma these past few days and we want to give her time to settle in now that she's home from the shelter.

Ready and willing once she heals up.

No comments:

Post a Comment